Monday, July 14, 2008

WM1 Flinders Class One - Tuesday July 14th

Welcome to Writing for Multimedia.

We will be doing the classes from week 6 today as Stefan is at a conference.

Introduction to Interactive Storytelling, explanation of course outline and assessment
  • Linear versus interactive multimedia/storytelling
  • History of Multimedia - Speech>Text>Print>Radio>Television>Interactive Multimedia
  • Discussion of future technologies and their impact on society in general (Disabled, Digital Divide, Intelligence/Individual Divide, What will become of our current reality?)
Introduction to augmented and virtual reality

Second Life and other Virtual Words
  • There
  • Openlife
  • Activeworlds
  • Entropia
  • Playstation Home
  • The Sims
  • Google Earth
  • Lively
  • Photosynth
What is required in a virtual environment?

Introduction to Second Life
  • Registering
  • Modifying avatars/characters in Second Life
  • Applying textures
  • Using the Appearance Tool
  • Searching
  • Teleporting
  • Object, Library and Inventory Use
What is Interactive Story telling?
How can VR be used to tell a story?

You must visit three places in Second Life, take a snapshot, and complete a short review on each place.
  • Location Name?
  • Region?
  • People Online?
  • What is done there?
  • What is your opinion of it, and why?
  • Would you visit again?

Eg;


The first location I visited was Ocean Sunrise.
I liked the trees(nice palms), they used some nice saturated rich colors, and nice waves.
I didn't like the land style, and the sand was a little boring, it needed more shapes or perhaps some grass. There didn't seem like there was too much to do, and there wasn't many original creations to examine.
I would come back if I needed a new style of palm tree.

..............................................................

We also looked at creating tshirts, with everyone creating their own shirt from a template in fireworks.

For anyone who missed it, the file can be found on mmshare>secondlife, or alternately you can download a similar template here as well as view instructions;

http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/SL-Tuts/SLPages/RSWTShirtStart.html

No comments: